Most people concentrate on starting the New Year rectifying things that have been doing wrong. With these healthy changes, people are not only living longer than the previous generation, they are also living a healthier life.
However if you have been living with these healthy habits for some time, it's now time for you to set your limits a bit higher with the following small healthy food upgrades which leave a huge impact!
- If you use a headset while talking on your cell phone, you might as well also try walking while talking. While you had no trouble using a headset with the cell phone when you heard cell phones can cause brain cancer, it's very probable that your phone has turned you into a couch potato!
Research has proven that people who use their phone the least had higher oxygen usage capacity with a well-established measure of fitness (VO2) when compared to those who used their phones the most. As higher VO2 is associated with a lower risk of heart disease, it's better to be on the move when you talk!
- If you have always been buying foods carrying the Whole Grain Stamp indicating the products have at least 8 grams of whole grains per serving, then you could consider choosing whole grain-rich food maintaining of a carb-to-fiber ratio of 10-1.
This is a smart move to make because although grain products with the Whole Grain Stamp are high in fiber with less Trans fat, they also transported more calories and sugars than products without the label. So look around for products where there's at least a gram of fiber for every ten grams of carbs as these whole grain products contained more fiber and less sugar and sodium.
- If you have a habit of writing down everything you eat, why not go digital? Although food diaries help with slimming down, those using a mobile app lost more weight. Perhaps because the apps give immediate and reinforcing feedback.
Moreover, studies have proven that there's a better chance of logging all information and skipping fewer days of recording through apps. And you now have a good reason to keep your phone on the dinner table! J
- If you now use BPA-free cups and containers, it's better switching to glass or stainless steel. Yes, these drinking vessels do not have bisphenol A, the endocrine disrupting chemical linked to thyroid, reproductive and cardiovascular problems in adults.
However while phasing out BPA, the companies have used other chemicals like bisphenol S (BPS) and bisphenol F (BPF) to make the containers, which are potentially just as dangerous.
- If you try hard to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night, now try claiming a spot near the office window. This gives you more sunlight exposure by day and about 46 minutes more sleeping time.
Day light exposure can increase your night's melatonin levels. Moreover, office workers with windows were more physically active after work, and exercise can improve sleep quality. If there's no chance of moving your office desk near a window, get as much light outdoors as possible during lunch and other breaks to help schedule your circadian rhythm!